42 Light Bty RA was formed in 1771 as 4 Bn RA. The battery used to parade on the Long Walk in the Arsenal at Woolwich, known as the Rookery, from which the battery derived its name of “The Old Rooks”, a title still displayed on battery signs and noticeboards. The battery first saw action in 1775 at Bunkers Hill in the American War of Independence. At that time they were armed with light 12 stretchedstockings and with gold buttons and a loop on their gold braided hats. The men wore white breeches and stockings, black half splatterdashes, and their hair “clubbed”. In the Haiti insurrection in 1859 the battery succeeded in rescuing the Emperor. Since this date they have been in action in most campaigns.
120 Light Bty RA was raised in 1808 as 9 Coy, 10 Bn RA, but was “reduced” in 1817. It was, however, reformed in 1848, and was in action in the Crimean War and the Egyptian War of 1882, as well as in most of the more recent campaigns. It distinguished itself in the Defence of Bardia in 1941, and saw plenty of action at Monte Cassino and the Gothic Line. Later, in Hong Kong, it was part of 34 LAA Regt RA.